I recently released version 1.50 of my free online Excel Formula Translator. The translator can be used to translate both single Excel Formulas and combined complex formulas. For example the formula =PROPER(MID(A1;FIND(“.”;A1)+1;FIND(“@”;A1)-FIND(“.”;A1)-1)) to extract the first and last name from an e-Mail address is translated to =NOMPROPRE(STXT(A1;TROUVE(“.”;A1)+1;TROUVE(“@”;A1)-TROUVE(“.”;A1)-1)) in French.
MSDN actually provides 43 language packs for Microsoft Office 2010, which I downloaded and installed in a virtual machine. I then compared the Excel functions, the Excel error codes and the arguments of some specific functions to the English version. And I have found 32 languages which have differences and included these languages in the translator.
However, in some languages the differences are minimal. For example, the only difference I found in the Japanese language pack is the DOLLAR() function which was replaced by YEN(). Another example is Thai, where the only difference is the argument “System” for the INFO() function. So, for these languages, the translator will in most cases return the same result as for English.
The translator is also able to translate the arguments for the CELL() and INFO() functions. For example, the German formula ZELLE(“Dateiname”) is translated to CELL(“filename”) in English or to ЯЧЕЙКА(“имяфайла”) in Russian.
Another feature of the translator is the possibility to translate Excel error codes from one language to another. For example, #VALUE! is translated to #WERT! in German, to #¡VALOR! in Spanish or to #ΤΙΜΗ! in Greek. However, the translator currently expects that the error code is encapsulated by a function name. So, if you just would like to translate the error code, you may use a function like T(#VALUE!), where it does not matter if the argument makes sense in the function. A later version of the translator will allow to pass the error codes by their own.
An option in the translator allows the replacement of commas with semicolons and vice versa. Since the argument separator also depends on the regional settings of the operating system, I thought, it would be better to let the user decide what to do instead of automatically translate the separators.
Last but not least, I implemented a new parser for the formulas (also faster compared to the previous versions) and I created a fan page on Facebook where a version of the translator is also included via an app.
Some time ago, the translator has been connected to the Microsoft Office Help forum (it’s in english but has an automatic translator), where the users can use an embedded version of the translator without leaving the forum. The translator also includes an additional option for adding BB-Code to the output formula. The translation itself takes place on my server, meaning that’s easier to do updates.
At this point, I would like to thank Simon Lloyd, forum administrator, who allowed the integration to the forum and also created a button visible in each thread of the Excel forums for quickly accessing the translator. So far, the feedback for the translator is very positive.
Finally, the development of the translator is far away from being complete, many new features are planned. So please stay tuned.